Thursday, March 5, 2009

A little Spiritual discipline is so worth it...

God has been teaching me about Spiritual disciplines lately. You see, when Jesus first changed my life around for Him, I began to develop the tendency of legalism. It became a prideful noose around my neck so I have sought to rather walk in is grace more. But lately I have seen that I have been "walking in His grace" a little too much. I live my life constantly "on the go." Part by choice, and part not (as that is life in the ministry of Young Life.) Well lately, with that already chaotic lifestyle that I lead, I have been waking up too late, then I would check my phone first off and get caught up in my "to-do's" first and therefore get side-tracked, then I wouldn't have my quiet time, instead I would read the scriptures in order to get a lesson for one of my YL venues that I was teaching at that day (horrible thing to do), then I'd later find myself getting grumpy with irritating people, then I'd wonder why, then I'd get mad at myself for getting grumpy, then I'd seek to stop doing so on my own, and then I'd realize it was probably b/c I didn't start my day off with the Lord, but by then I was "too busy" to do so, and so I would say that I would have my QT tomorrow morning, but then remind myself not to get too legalistic again, and then wake up too late the next morning again, and on and on the cycle has been going...!!! Well, I didn't seek out a book on Spiritual disciplines. Nor did I seek to "be disciplined" on my own. Rather, last night I just realized that I had had enough! Our weapons are not against flesh and blood but rather against the ruler of this world-Satan, and he was trying to distract me from some freedom in Jesus that I need! No more! Sometimes we all get to that point where we shout..."Enough!"...and mean it! I was at that point and I needed some balance in my life of walking in His grace, and also, all the while, obtaining some spiritual disciplines, for crying out loud!!!! :) I didn't have a plan but God did. I decided to turn my phone off last night before I went to bed, I awoke a bit earlier this morning and didn't turn my phone on yet, nor open my computer. After I got myself and my brood of animals going, I put on a pot of coffee and knelt down before the Lord in prayer. When my coffee was ready and my prayers were at a "to be continued" point, I grabbed a cup of coffee, rushed off to my desk and began to open the scriptures. Aahh...it felt good to be back! It was like the sun was shining again! And I felt some order to my chaos. Just as God brought order to our formless, chaotic, devoid of life world in Genesis! It's a wonder...right? Ha! :) I sit here now pondering a scripture that God has had on my heart since Tuesday. Zechariah 3:1-10. What a perfect depiction to me of what Jesus did for us on the cross...esp. during this season of Lent...which I love! I encourage you to go and read it today and get your own word. Walk in your robe of righteousness today! If you are His, you are already clothed in it, you may have just let yourself become distracted with the dirty stains on it. But our God is a bleaching man...and all it takes is a stop with Him in His laundry shop. So get to it friends! Stop getting distracted, take a dip in his laundry shop today. and walk out in the glorious robes that He has for you! I am now off to get to my "to-do list," as I have started my day off right today! Day 1...check! :)

1 comment:

Manda said...

good job corrie! seek that Jesus but lets not get to crazy about turning off that phone... like text me before ya do it... so im not wonderin what happened to corrie....