Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Maryland

I just returned from Maryland, where my grandfather was buried. My mom and her whole family were born and raised in Maryland. My papa moved them to Friendswood, TX when my mom was 15 and he got offered a job with NASA. But they are tried and true Maryland! My dad is the true Texan in the bunch! :) I took a week off work last week and attended the funeral here and then we all traveled there for another funeral and burial. It was a long, hard week but also a sweet one. Besides the yummy food and visits to where my favorite Sylvester Stallone had been, we visited the historic sight of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, and I got to be in a place where they really have fall! It was awesome! I also got to watch my grandfather have a military honored burial b/c he was in the Navy. That was such an honor and tear jerker! But I think the sweetest part was seeing a part of my heritage. As previously mentioned, my papa had a rough childhood. He was orphaned after a rough go with his own family, and then when he was 12 another family took him in and moved him to their farm. We got to meet some members of that family, hear about my papa, and visit the farm. It was awesome! I also got to see where my mom grew up (I was too little last time to enjoy.) Enjoy some of the pics below! I gotta get back to my job, ministry, and planning a wedding! :)





















5 comments:

parks said...

corrie, these pictures are beautiful. the funeral ones are breathtaking! the fall leaves... wow. thank you for sharing!

Megan said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather, but encouraged by the faith you have kept through it all. The relationship y'all had was special and will be a legacy to continue!

We need to catch up soon. Love you so, SO much! :)

Steelergirl said...

great pics, i've been to that orchard many times growing up :) um...what is the random rocky pic all about?

The Ugly Beautiful said...

Thanks friends! Aimes, we share some heritage! :) I love that orchard! The Rocky pic was at the Green Turtle. Been there? He has! :) Love that place! And I love Rocky! And I love you 3 gals! :)

Steelergirl said...

yes, i've been to the turtle. bridget used to work at that one. in college, i hung out at the original one in fells point.