Friday, August 29, 2008

The end of an era

So yesterday was my last day of work as a dental asst. at my dad's! I have worked there for 8 years now and let's just say that it wasn't my dream job! I don't just dis-like the dental field itself, but that job was also my own personal testing field. Sorry to sound so dramatic, but it's true. I am truly thankful that I had a job and learned a trade, but My father and I sadly don't have the best relationship and working together only made it worse. And add to the fact that my whole family works there and let's just say that we don't work well together on any front. Well, yesterday was my official last day there and it was the wierdest day ever! My mom was balling to see me go b/c she feels like she can't protect me anymore! I'm 28! You can see another reason why I needed to get out. :) I really do appreciate her sentiment but she needs to let me go and actually after we talked about it she realized that so that was good. We, thankfully, had a really good talk. I feel this will better our relationship as well. You see, seeing that my family and I don't get along very well already, working together wasn't the best idea. But God had me there for a time for a reason. It was a hard 8 years though, but I learned a lot....too much to write at this time. But I am excited to start new. I'm also excited b/c I know this will help my relationship with my family. I was the last one to leave the office yesterday b/c I was cleaning up. I thought this day was gonna be so awesome. I had planned on having a retirement party, burning my scrubs, etc. I wasn't kidding when I said that I hated my job! :) But as I sat there alone yesterday, I started to cry...and cry hard. 8 years of my life where spent in that place, and although most of my memories there are bad,sadly, it still was the end of something and I'm a creature of habit at times so I hate good-byes. So I laid on the office floor crying and praying. It was actually a sweet time with the Lord. I had a brief thought that maybe I shouldn't leave that place but I quickly regained my sanity and realized it was just my fear kicking in and remembered how much that desperately needed to get out of there. :) Well, I then gathered all my stuff together, took one last walk thru the office getting my closure, made sure all was ready for the next girl, and then headed out the door. And then there it was. Laying in the spot that my dad parks his truck in everyday...a snake! I ventured over to it to see if it was dead or alive.. Dead it was! And right then I had an epiphany from God. Just as Jesus crushed the head of Satan with His heel, I felt like God was saying to me, "Daughter, don't be scared of your new venture. I have taught you many hard lessons here at this office and I know that Satan attacked you many ways through your father, However, at least for this aspect in your life, I have crushed him and it will be no more! I feel you have learned what you needed and the time is over now." Amen! I found myself drying my tears and doing a happy praise dance right then and there! Now don't get me wrong, I love my father and my family and I know that my dad is not satan. It's just that Satan used him to attack me in so many ways....to sift things out of me! Now I am stronger for it, but it still hurt. And now I know that my relationship with my father will be so much better that I'm not working beside him. I hope you understand me. With all that to say, I'm officially done as a dental asst. and now I start my next adventure as full-time with Young Life. I love Young Life and have been volunteering with them for some time now, but this is a new venture for me so please pray for me...I will need it! The beginning of a new era has begun and I feel more mature for it now. I am finally moving forward...yay!

3 comments:

Ryan Adams said...

i'm very glad that you have came to this point. i am praying daily that God blesses you for taking this step of faith...

Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats on moving forward! That's so cool that you get to work full time for Young Life. Also, I would like to say to you that you are not the only nervous one. I am still a little terrified of college life, but the times I've been spending with god every day has been keeping me going. I'm also going to yL tonight!! I've been praying that i meet some great people there too. You where such an amazing leader to me and you taught me SO much. The kids this year are so lucky to be with you. I hope you love being full time with yL. I'm praying for you! You are AWESOME!

Wade Hanegan said...

I can't believe it. I am so proud of you. Keep me updated and I will be praying for you.